Definition of Release Plan:
A Release Plan includes the features of an upcoming release and provides an estimated date for this release. The release plan should contain responsibilities, resources, and activities that are prerequisites for the release.
Use of Release Plans:
Release plans are broken down into individual iterations or sprints needed for completing the release and for capturing what should be accomplished in each sprint. The release date is estimated based on the expected number of sprints multiplied by the team’s sprint velocity.
Benefits of Release Plans:
- Provide accurate estimations of time and resources needed to complete the release.
- Create a common understanding and vision of what needs to be accomplished.
- Help the product owner in prioritizing stories and tasks.
- Support team members in making decisions.
- Help teams avoid drifting off to unplanned work.